Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Olive Grove


Monica was sitting outside in the patio reading a book that she had long neglected. She sat there with a certain glow, which brought out all her subtle features. She was very focused on the book and for moment did not notice me standing there next to her. i startled her, when i asked her about the book. She turned towards me and though surprised was delighted to see me. The clouds were slowly closing in on us, and we decided than to move into the house. We sat in the living room, where there was a grand piano, more pictures of departed relatives, and even a picture of Antonio, only this time he was well dressed and still with the same half turned smile as well as the trusty workers hat that would never leave him. I told Monica about what i had seen at the grove, and that I thought it might have been the priest. In my hand I still held the Bible and handed it to her as she took a seat next to the piano. She gently caressed the book in her hand, and looked down with a sad eye, she seemed to have not been surprised by my encounter with the priest. She gave a light smile and with a slight sigh, said, " yes, most likely it was the priest". " he has been known to wander and no one is ever brave enough to ask where he goes" " I suppose you have inherited the task of finding him" " I think its best we leave things as is, and not mention anything, especially to grandmother, as Im not sure how she would take the news, and Dont worry, ill take care of the bible"

No comments: