Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bilbo

I stepped out into a slight drizzle as the clouds took a darker color, and in the distance I could here a faint rumble as a teasing wind brushed itself against my exposed face. It was early afternoon, and time for a nap or a siesta as they called it in those distant parts, where the pace of things was much slower and somewhat tiresome then the rush of cities that I had known in my past. I headed back into the house towards my room upstairs and missed stepping on the sprawled black cat who was sleeping next to the threshold. This was one of the more reclusive cats I had known while staying there. though I knew him by name; his personality was yet to be fully known and being the cat lover that I was, could not resist the opportunity to know more about this reclusive feline. Of course i was in no hurry at the moment and gave a gentle nudge to the rested animal. His name was "Bilbo". I was somewhat perplexed by the name and after trying to get some information from my good hosts, discovered that its named after one of Tolkien's Hobbits. But I have heard this name before, many years before, and for the moment could not retrieve that distant memory.
After climbing the wooden steps that led to my upstairs room, I was about to open the door, when i noticed Bilbo behind me, and with a gentle sway curved himself around my legs and was looking up at me with a remorseful eye. He was a rather young cat and perhaps needing of attention knew of a good source, which is how he ended upstairs with me. I let him into the room and with no hesitation he jumped onto the bed and curled himself smack in the middle. I could just see old Antonio hovering above, thinking what an insult this might be for this well seasoned hunter that has so far had the room only to himself, and with such a view as to think he was the king of that room, and even for me to be there was a privilege. The rain was now more pronounced and being on the top floor, i could hear the heavy thud of the final storm knocking to say that even in spring nature will not rest, nor will this rain be the last to visit my humble room. I looked up again at old Antonio. His smile now looked more like a frown as the shimmering light shifted with the coming storm and his hat, which normally looked well placed on his small head, was slightly off the mark,as though it was put on him with haste, and a nervous touch, so that his whole appearance seemed to have changed, and even Bilbo seemed to sense this as he repositioned himself swiftly and was now lying closer to the edge of the bed.

No comments: