Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Tear

She was clutching the Bible with both hands,pressing the tarnished cover like a slow and deliberate squeeze, to the point that even her gentle white hands took a blue like appearance. She looked stressed and absolute as she stared out toward the pictured wall that lay before her. I gently sat next to her and asked if everything was alright. she continued with that stare, as though there was something there of interest, and for a moment i thought she had become lost in some other place, some other time , where no one could touch her. I placed my hand over hers, and with a whisper told her that it was ok, that whatever she was feeling was ok and that she need not worry, no matter what it was, that all will be ok. She turned to me and with a glimmer of an expected smile, there I saw a slight tear coming down her right eye.
I thought this might be my last day at Monica's house. These rather voluntary occurrences out of nowhere, that seem to rattle the peace I had been seeking, seem with everyday to get worse, and my wanting to leave has already been delayed not so much by the people around me, as by the utter beauty of the place, which does not make it any easier. I was determined that night to start packing and make arrangements towards leaving. Of course i would need to make an announcement to Monica and her family, and not to forget good old Bilbo the cat, and my new companion Antonio, who up till now has entrusted me to maintain the command of our upstairs castle.

No comments: