Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Coffin part two.

They laid him to rest against the background of verdant hills. The ropes struggled as the Coffin slowly came down, pressed tightly against the earth wall. The black veiled women gently placed her hand on top of the moving Coffin and murmured a silent payer. I stood in the back wandering who this man was, his name, his character, what he did for leisure, his adventures,his loves. The crowd started to disperse and move back towards the main road. Some remained to take in the last touch of a soul no longer here. I returned to my room. The blue sky slowly closing in for the day. A glass of wine in my hand. I felt I met a stranger; only he was not alive nor did i ever know him alive. My friend Monica called to inquire about my day. i told her about my little adventure. She was silent for a moment. "he was a good man" She said. "Well liked by the village" "A womanizer". "But a good man". I returned to my wine and felt grateful to have known a stranger, even if for a moment.

No comments: