Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Rabbit

That night Monica and I decided to go for an evening drive. We ended up going to the near by town and to our favorite cafe. A warm breeze left over from the turning day hit my face as we sat down outside. The street was quite with the sporadic hum of a few cars making their way back home. There was an old man sitting across from us with his old world hat and a cigarette,peering into the shifting light. We decided on a coffee and sat there without much to say. The stillness seemed to calm our spirit and it remained more a moment of reflection. I was always the curious one, observing the street before me. For Monica this was nothing new. She knew this scene many times over. She even knew the old man, and there was no need to know more. We sat there, outside in the stillness of all that was buzzing around us. For a moment I felt like having a cigarette, and knowing that Monica had a reserved supply in her small bag, I asked her for one. After about an hour of this reflective moment. we decided to head back home. The full darkness of night enveloped our small car as we drove back into the country. The moon was hiding that night and visibility was poor. I felt a sudden bump as we were nearing the village. I asked Monica to stop the car and pull to the side. I stepped outside and noticed something moving in the middle of the road. We turned the car around to illuminate what was before us. A white rabbit was moving in its last moment of life. I new i needed to put it out of its misery at that moment. But Monica could not accept a second blow to the already dyeing rabbit. I picked the rabbit up and placed him gently by the side of the road. I was prepared to act and do what was right. But Monica who loved animals so dearly, could not accept more trauma to the already helpless animal. we left him there. I did not sleep that night. The next morning I went back to the spot. The rabbit died overnight and I knew then that it was time for me to go.

No comments: