Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Havdalah.

The conclusion of the Sabbath is marked by a short and powerful ritual called Havdala. A goblet is filled to the rim with Kosher wine and a three weaved candle is lit. there is also a cloved spice box, that is sniffed to instill the sabbath spirit which will carry itself through into the new week. The prayer recited speaks of the importance of separation between the holy and mundane,between the Sabbath and the rest of the week. The ceremony is short or as long as one would want to make it. It is deep. I have only touched the surface of it and there is so much that I do not know nor fully understand. What I do know is that there is a surge of energy that I feel upon completing this ritual. I feel ready to tackle the new week with a sense of strength and purpose. It is grounding and life giving, and it is very ancient.

No comments: